Saturday, June 11, 2011

Transitioning from Start Chair to Racer...

For the past year, I have been immersed in planning for the Start Weekend of the 35th Annual Air Race Classic in Iowa City IA. Many folks wonder why I live in Iowa. I look forward to sharing a slice of Iowa with my racer buddies.

So finally, the pieces are coming together, and the weekend is coming into focus. I can now begin to turn my attention to The Race. Who was going to be my co-pilot for 2011? Last spring, I made a short hop to stop in Sporty's to exchange a headset after the 99s NCS Spring Meeting. Another serendipity, I had to borrow a pen, and I knocked on a door in Sporty's flight instruction area. A familiar yet unfamiliar face looked up. To both our surprises, we recognized one another from another period of our lives when we were active researchers. Charissa, like me, discovered a passion for the sky and aviation. In our brief chat, she expressed an interest in flying the Air Race Classic.

I reflected on this, as I considered my options for connecting with a co-pilot. With my pre-occupation planning for the ARC Start Weekend, I knew that I wanted experience this year. Charissa had more hours and broader expertise than me. With a checkout in a Cardinal RG, she's ready to climb into the right seat and ready to fly 51-Charlie. Classic 41 has evolved and after a brief visit a few weeks ago, the Grateful Dead Reckoners are on the scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment